Sunday, December 2, 2012

Advice?

I'm looking for some advice. It doesn't have to be educated. I'm not picky. Anyone know anything about flying in the first trimester?

My husband and I (reluctantly) are going on a family trip to Disney World in a couple of weeks. Disney isn't really our thing...although I actually don't know that for sure. Neither of us has been to Disney in the last 25 years. So, it could totally be our thing. But, going out on a limb, I'm guessing that it isn't. Since we don't have kids, we aren't super stoked about this trip. His parents are really excited about it and since all of the siblings and nieces and nephews are going, we figured we would join in.

So, that brings me to my question. I have long since stopped planning things based around the assumption that I will be pregnant. I have missed out on two half-marathons and a marathon that I would have LOVE to have run thinking that I would be pregnant. But, no such luck. So, those experiences are down the tubes for no reason. We went ahead and signed up with the family to go on this trip assuming that I would NOT be pregnant. Now that I am a week away from finding out whether we were successful this month, I am getting a little nervous.

We are catching a ride (14 hours) with the in-laws in the back of a minivan with the kiddos. That could be hazardous to our health in itself. But, we have tickets to fly home. I started googling flying and first trimester, and I can't find anything conclusive. Some say there isn't anything to worry about and others say not to do it. I would only be about 5 weeks pregnant, so the risk of miscarriage is scary to me. Of course, I say this all while I have NO IDEA whether I'm even pregnant yet.

So...anyone know anything? Or have an opinion? Or been given advice by their midwife, doctor, or Great-Aunt Sally?

5 comments:

  1. I have nothing to back this up, but I wouldn't think it would be a big deal. A lot of times people wouldn't even know they were pregnant yet if they weren't trying. I can't think of anything flying would do to cause a miscarriage, but early losses are so common I'm sure there is a correlation. Good luck when you test!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input! I can't think of why flying would cause a miscarriage either, but like you said, early miscarriages are so common that I worry that it doesn't take much. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember everyone giving me a hard time about doing it- but I honestly flew my ENTIRE pregnancy til the very end. I'm sure you will be fine- good luck though! FINGERS CROSSED! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flying is fine!
    The 14time hour car ride would be more trying. I had hirrinle car sickness in my first tri so I suggest something sour to suck on for potential nausea. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope everything is going well and you had fun on your trip. I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! http://frozenojsconcentratedlife.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-blog-award-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete